The “Unique ID for Persons with Disabilities” (UDID) project is an initiative implemented by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities. The project aims to establish a National Database for Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) and issue a Unique Disability Identity Card to each individual with a disability. The main objectives of the project are to enhance transparency, efficiency, and accessibility in delivering government benefits to persons with disabilities, as well as ensure uniformity in the process.
WHAT IS UDID CARD?
The UDID card serves as a comprehensive identification document that consolidates the multiple disability certificates and identity proofs into a single card. This consolidation simplifies bureaucratic processes, making it easier for individuals with disabilities to access various government services and schemes. By reducing the need for multiple documents, the UDID card ensures convenience and expediency in availing healthcare, education, and other welfare benefits. The card also enables seamless integration across different departments and platforms, creating a streamlined system that promotes accessibility for disabled individuals.
BENEFITS OF UDID CARD
The UDID card goes beyond providing identification; it acts as a symbol of recognition and inclusivity. By having a universally recognized card, individuals with disabilities gain a sense of empowerment and belonging. This identification document not only validates their disability but also acknowledges their unique needs and rights. It serves as a catalyst for breaking down barriers and challenging societal stigmas by promoting a more inclusive environment where disabled individuals can actively participate in social, economic, and cultural spheres.
The UDID project involves the development of an integrated system that covers the entire process of issuing Universal IDs and Disability Certificates. Key features of the project include:
- Centralized web application: An online platform that provides access to the data of persons with disabilities across the country.
- Online registration: Individuals can file and submit their registration application forms for disability certificates and Universal ID cards online. Offline applications may also be accepted and digitized later by relevant agencies.
- Quick assessment: Hospitals and Medical Boards are equipped with a streamlined process for assessing the percentage of disability.
- Non-duplication of PwDs data: Measures are in place to prevent duplication of data for persons with disabilities.
- Online renewal and update: Persons with disabilities or authorized representatives can renew and update their information online.
- Management Information System (MIS): A framework is established for generating reports and analyzing data related to the project’s implementation and impact.
- Interoperability of government benefits/schemes: The project aims to effectively manage and integrate the various benefits and schemes launched by the government for persons with disabilities.
- Future expansion: The project is designed to accommodate additional disabilities in the future, with the number of recognized disabilities subject to increase as per new acts or notifications.
The UDID project seeks to create a comprehensive and inclusive system that improves the identification, tracking, and delivery of services to persons with disabilities at all levels, from the village to the national level. It aims to leverage technology to enhance the overall welfare and empowerment of persons with disabilities in India.
OFFICIAL LINK OF THE SCHEME- https://disabilityaffairs.gov.in/content/page/unique-disability-id.php